An already unprecedented year, 2020 has also had the unique distinction of the IRS extending the tax deadline for all Americans. Instead of April, this year the deadline has been extended to July 15th, so for all those of you who still need to file there’s still time.
Many people dread having to do their own taxes and often opt to have someone else do it for them. While that may be the preferred option for some, many others prefer to do their own taxes. Long gone are the days of logging yearly expenses on paper and pencil, now with computers and the internet you can file your taxes electronically and get a quick refund just as easy. A few popular ones are listed below and all include a free version to file federal taxes as part of the Free File Alliance, a consortium of tax software companies that have all agreed to provide a free version of their software.
· TurboTax – great overall and recommended if you use Quickbooks
· H&R Block – great multiplatform support, including in-person at any H&R location
· TaxSlayer – best overall value in terms of price
· Jackson Hewitt – best audit defense
· TaxAct – best accuracy guarantee